Tuesday, April 15, 2008

...My Front Door...


It looks as if I live in a barn, and it might as well be one - it is big enough for a flock of barnyard animals. But instead, there "lives" the salumi - culatelli, salami, etc. - that are doing their time, going through the inescapable aging process. Once mature, they will move to the grand aging cellar adjacent to the restaurant.


But no, I don't live here. There are stairs that lead up to an upstairs apartment.

Relatively sparse by North American standards, this place that is my home for the next few months is still comfortable just the same. It even has a small deck, which I will be using come warmer weather. There are two rooms, both very spacious, and lucky me, I have my own room all to myself. Since I am the only occupant, I am a pretty happy guy.

To get to work, all I do is exit, turn left, and walk about 150 meters (or so). No car, no hassles with traffic and parking...

Life is pretty simple right now...

We get to work at 0900 (most of the time in a beary-eyed zombie state), prep until 1100 or 1115, at which point we eat lunch, and talk/laugh about whatever topics de jour happen to evolve. At 1200, lunch service commences, and when the last order goes, we clean up and resume prep work until 1700/1730 (that's 5 pm to 530 pm to the rest of the world).

At this point, I'm usually pretty tired, so all I do is go home and crash. I can't actually fall asleep, because I'm wired from work, but lying down and closing the eyes still still feels really good. At 1800 (6 pm), I go back to the restaurant and get dinner, and then return home. Dinner service begins at 1930, and we work until 2300, sometimes a little longer.

Alas, I ease myself one final time through that barn door. Home at last, I unwind and await that first big inescapable yawn that beckons the visit to Dreamworld...

No comments: